AD (728x60)

(Tab Widget 4)

Monday, April 7, 2014

A Social Staple

Share & Comment


Smoking is a social staple in Prague. Fitting to some broad European stereotypes, most Europeans do in fact smoke cigarettes. Czech people smoke a lot and they smoke frequently. My account, of course must be taken with a grain of salt as I obviously do not speak for all Czech citizens. From experience however, I must warn that cigarette smoke, and second hand smoking is practically unavoidable. Almost everywhere I have been to eat or drink, and the routes in-between retain the lingering wisps of smoke trails. Cigarette buds line the streets, and there are ash trays at the center of every dinner table.

Coming from America, we know that smoking leads to cancer, stomas, robot voices, etc. The practice is frowned upon for the negative effects to our health and seen as a tool for the rebellious or addicted. There is the obvious "cool guy" appeal, painted by musicians and celebrities, however, the general consensus often stops one from smoking before they start.

In Prague however, smoking is a tool for the socialites. Like a drink at a party or gathering, a cigarette is something to hold. It provides the smoker with something to do as a conversation ebbs and flows. Sudden silences or lulls are made smoother when everyone takes a drag. This is not to say that I'm condoning smoking, but after switching my perspective I have come to understand the frequent practice better.

Fair warning: Cigarette smoke will cling to all of your clothes. The girls on this trip complain that it clings to their hair and I believe them. Most of the fine eateries we visit when we don't feel like cooking will most definitely be brimming with smoke, so be prepared to taste cigarettes before you take a bite of your food. Fortunately, you will most likely adjust to the smell.

Hope I've been helpful!

Sam

Picture found at: http://euobserver.com/justice/116712
Tags: ,

Written by

We're 7 members of the Class of 2016 Media Fellows Program, studying abroad together in Prague for the 2014 spring semester.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet Us

Why Choose Prague?

Prague, Czech Republic is one of the top destinations to visit for its amazing architecture, cuisine and nightlife. The city is overflowing with history! Not to mention, it has a great exchange rate, making the trip inexpensive for a European country. Visit the High Point University Faculty-in-Residence Program page to learn more.
Copyright © Faculty in Residence Study Abroad: Prague | High Point University | Designed by Templateism.com