Hey guys!
So since I'm technically one of the food bloggers, I figured I should probably write a little bit about the food and restaurant experience here.
In general, the food here is DELICIOUS. In traditional Czech restaurants, you will most likely encounter meat, potatoes, and dumplings. We ate out a lot during the first few days here and I enjoyed every single place we went. I would tell you the names of the restaurants if only I could spell them, so sorry about that.
One piece of advice, though: most restaurants will have their menus posted somewhere near the door before you go in. If you don't want to be picking something off the menu at random once you sit down, look at the menu posting and make sure they have an English translation under the Czech words so that you actually know what you're ordering.
Another thing about restaurants: most of the servers that I've encountered speak very little English, and even if they do, they don't really want to talk to you anyway because they think you're just a tourist. If you get a server that can't speak a lot of English, when you order your food you're probably going to have to show them your menu and point to whatever it is you want.
Whenever you're eating out, if you're trying to save money I would also recommend ordering a beer instead of water. Not only is it cheaper than water, but it's a HUGE part of the culture. In fact, the Czech Republic consumes more beer each year than any other country in the world. If you order water, they're going to serve it to you in some beautiful, yet tiny, glass bottle with a separate glass for you to drink it out of (oh, and refills aren't free) and they're going to charge you about 35 Kc for it, which is the equivalent of about $1.70. Sodas and juice are usually about the same price. However, the cheapest beer on the menu is usually about 24 Kc and they serve it to you in a huge mug. At some point, you should also try Pilsner Urquell, which is a really good Czech beer. It has been on the menu at every single restaurant I've been to.
Lastly, please please PLEASE be adventurous with your food choices. Trust me, I know it can be tempting to keep ordering the same thing over and over once you find something you like, but don't do it. Food is such a big part of the culture and you're never going to really experience it if you don't try new things.
That's all I've got for now!
Until next time,
Brittany
0 comments:
Post a Comment